Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS

SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS Forum dedicated to the single ski riders

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Slowbore Has earned a rub and tug from ARSlowbore Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Project stumpycat: a one-ski tube frame build.

OK here goes!

I've been wanting to build a tube frame sled for a while now but I've been procrastinating. That is until my buddies went for a ride on a timberhorse kit and told me how much they liked it. I started doing a bunch of research and am now pumped to do a one-ski build. I love the hawks and the timberhorse so I wanted to meld the two designs.

I've also read about the snowhawks and deep powder.. I'm in the kootenays of BC so I need deep powder ability.

I have a 2001 arctic cat 800 with a blown chaincase for use as a donor. It's an experimental build so I'm not going to be super meticulous. I also would love to try it before the snow goes away.

Basically my thinking is:

- Cente mount (left to right) the engine so the machine is as narrow as possible.
- Put the rider in a similar position to that of a MH bike kit. So basically this is an extreme rider-forward snowhawk build.
- In that vane I'd like to be able to use the direct steering design like a bike.
- Keep things out of the snow to reduce drag. The only thing low is going to be the engine, no body work motorboating on the snow.
- I'm pretty confident in my welding and engineering so it's going to be a steel tube build with triangulation for strength.
- I want to keep snow off the machine. I'm going to do a plastic lined tunnel and other things to keep snow from caking onto the machine.
- Weight is always a concern but I also want to get this thing done so there will be compromises. That said I think it will be pretty light.
- I'm planning to use the 144x15x1.5(?) track and skid out of the AC as a starting point. Hopefully with the reduced weight and design this will be an ok powder track for starting and not hinder steering too much. Later on I will probably change skids or mess with it to make it lighter.

OK, I think that's about it. Off we go!

Oh, I'm open to suggestions on build names
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Slowbore Has earned a rub and tug from ARSlowbore Has earned a rub and tug from AR

So here is what I've been up to basically. This is the start of the tunnel bits:

start of tube tunnel

Then I tacked some cross braces on it to hold it square and started on the rear engine mounts. I wanted to get the engine as close to the tunnel as possible. The bottom of the engine is in line with where the center of the drivers will be.

Mount location

This was actually after building two custom rear braces off the engine which you'll see in this picture:

rear mounted to tunnel

Here are the original rear engine braces for comparison. It's very close to the tunnel front.

new rear mounts compared to original

I'm sure the new ones are lighter even though they are steel.

Here you can see the engine is center mounted left to right. Getting that engine mounted in there square in all three dimensions took some time. It is within 1/16" parallel all the way to the rear of the tunnel.

engine is center mounted left to right
Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM

jakke Graveler Wishes he was you

STOP! Turn the engine ! Carbs facing forward pipe under the seat
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM
REBEL

off road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from ARoff road rider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I guess I would suggest you get some time on a hawk and timbersled and truly understand the differences, Several of us have basically done what your talking about.
For instance the body panels, on a hawk you use the belly pan to glide or pivot on the snow, sliding the rear end around, kind of like a jet ski, something a bike kit just cant do.
I beg to differ that a hawk is not deep snow worthy, you just have to set them up right.
Whats great about a bike kit is the agility and light weight, what isn't so great about a bike kit is the lack of ability to spin on a dime and reverse directions on a hill or while just out playing around.
If you build something that has the rider extremely high and forward you lose what is good about a hawk.
Ask me how I know.
Get some riding in on both machines and build something cool from experience, It will pay off 10X.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM
REBEL

snowhawkaddict is off the scalesnowhawkaddict is off the scalesnowhawkaddict is off the scalesnowhawkaddict is off the scalesnowhawkaddict is off the scalesnowhawkaddict is off the scale
Default Need more Stumpycat!

Here's one with steering like you mention.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road rider View Post
I guess I would suggest you get some time on a hawk and timbersled and truly understand the differences, Several of us have basically done what your talking about.
For instance the body panels, on a hawk you use the belly pan to glide or pivot on the snow, sliding the rear end around, kind of like a jet ski, something a bike kit just cant do.
I beg to differ that a hawk is not deep snow worthy, you just have to set them up right.
Whats great about a bike kit is the agility and light weight, what isn't so great about a bike kit is the lack of ability to spin on a dime and reverse directions on a hill or while just out playing around.
If you build something that has the rider extremely high and forward you lose what is good about a hawk.
Ask me how I know.
Get some riding in on both machines and build something cool from experience, It will pay off 10X.
How do you know? haha

Yeah seat time is a good idea, although I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

I do know a hawk can work in the deep but I've also seen the threads with people putting on bigger tracks etc.

I am thinking I should move the rider back a bit from my original idea. I'm mostly concerned about having it be nose heavy.

All in all if it doesn't work I can do some rework and turn it into a normal sled.

So I'm definitely open to input on ideas .. if I get a chance to drive one I'll take it up. heh.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakke View Post
STOP! Turn the engine ! Carbs facing forward pipe under the seat
and drive backwards? It would make it easier but how do you get the direction reversed?

Last edited by Slowbore; 02-05-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 PM
REBEL

J&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Keep it up

Come to hawkfest next week in Yellowstone You can ride some hawks and bikes and see what some others have done. I have just started to remount the m7 in my chassis so I can get better air box. Rider forward is where I want to go
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
REBEL

steve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteve samps Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbore View Post
and drive backwards? hehe. It would make it easier but how do you get the direction reversed?
Gear to gear.

Now you save the weight of the chain.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve samps View Post
Gear to gear.

Now you save the weight of the chain.
Do you know of any off the shelf solutions for this?

Last edited by Slowbore; 02-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS